web counter

Odd Marthinsen Genealogy Site

The history of our family in Norway, USA, Canada and Sweden. - This site is constantly under construction . . .

We find our ancestors

In every family there is one or more who really want to find our ancestors. To put meat on the bones and make them live again. To tell the family story and feel that they are somehow getting to know each other. Doing genealogy is not a cold collection of facts, but instead breathes life into all of our dead relatives. We are storytellers from the tribe in the family tree. As I said, we have gained this interest in our ancestry. Those who have passed away shout to us: "Tell our story!". So we do. When we find them, they somehow find us. How many times have I not thought about the ancestors: “It was their life. Some had a wonderful life, while others may not have had such a good time. " But, everyone should remember, no matter what. . .


Edvard Martinsen, skipper of bark "Velox"

main imageBark "Velox", 374 tons, built in Arendal 1868, was purchased for Fredrikstad in 1890 from Stavanger for 21,000 kroner. Velox went to Brazil and picked up a load of pitchpine timber with skipper Hans Alexandersen, who died in Santos of yellow fever. Coxswain Edvard Martinsen then had to take the ship home to Europe. On the voyage from Santos in Brazil, "Velox" had to be abandoned on 6 January 1893 in a strong OSO storm 15 quarters of a mile SW of Fastnet, south of Ireland. The crew was picked up by a steamer, and Velox himself was rescued to Queenstown in "good condition" three weeks later. The hull was still condemned after a while. "Velox" was traveling from Apalachicola to Conway with pitchpine timber and had sailed from South America on November 20, 1892. The voyage normally lasted until December 17, when stormy weather with storms set in. The sea was high, and the ship had to be kept flat from the wind. At the same time, oil bags were hung out to try to dampen something at sea. The next day, the pertlin was carried out aft to also in this way break off from the sea, which now constantly broke inwards the stern. In the violent sea, the ship drew more and more water. After the wind had calmed down somewhat for a short period, it picked up again on December 21 and soon blew full with the strength of the hurricane from the northwest. The pertlin was again taken out, and the ship is now kept flat from the wind with the stump. At 4 o'clock they got a break inside the stern that took both the two who were at the helm. However, they immediately got out of the sea again and managed to do wonders by clinging to the rig. The ship had, while this was going on, aired up and now refused all command. The butt joint was then let go to lighten the ship. At the same time, the jib bras and the top lawn went, and the raw peaked at the end. The stump broke the jib and the upper sail that was fixed. The pertlin and two manilla ropes were now brought out ahead on a windy bow, and the storm mainsail was added. The ship swayed and worked violently in the heavy sea and constantly took in cascades of surface water. Around noon on December 22, a huge wreck came and lifted the boats off the lashings on the ruff roof and shattered the smallest of them, moved the ruff and filled it with water, took with it the wind turbine wings, tore the storm mainsail, smashed the cabin window and filled the cabin and the bread bunk with water. The fortifications and the row also went hard, and five of the stunners went across. New sails were bent under, and then gradually moderated, they were still able to continue the journey despite the severe destruction. However, the storm broke out again on December 30. On New Year's Eve in the evening, a breakwater came and took part of the splitter rig with it. Oil bags were constantly used, and it had to be pumped hard and often. Nevertheless, the leak increased. Then the wind lied once more and all sails were added again, but the mood on board was not exactly high, and when a foreign ship was now in sight, the crew demanded that the emergency flag be raised and the ship abandoned. However, the alien ship was so far away that it probably did not observe the casualty, but disappeared in the distance. The weather had now become somewhat moderate and the ship was again about to blow. The next day, the ship's council was kept aft. The skipper encouraged the crew as best he could and tried to get them to stay on board, as he thought the prospects of reaching land on their own with their own help should now be quite good. In this way, the crew calmed down and agreed to stay on board. The pumping was soon in full swing again, because the leak increased again, and now it seemed completely impossible to get the hull drained. Thus, the crew once again demanded that the ship be surrendered. Skipper Martinsen would still easily not hear about this and added that even if everyone else left the ship, he would at least stay standing. Both helmsmen tried to persuade the skipper to leave the ship if the opportunity arose, but he held on and was adamant. On January 6 at four in the afternoon, D / S Michigan of Liverpool came up under the casualty and took everyone on board. The skipper remained in the cabin and still refused to leave the ship. The helmsman and two sailors then went down to the cabin, overpowered skipper Martinsen and took him by force with him in the boat. The wreck of Velox was later seen west of Old Head, Kinsale, by an English bark and then salvaged in port by a tugboat. The wreck was sold in the spring of 1893 for 80 pounds. Velox was led by Hans Alexandersen from Rød on Kråkerøy. He died of yellow fever in Santos, Brazil, and the helmsman Edvard Martinsen then had to take the ship home to Europe, which turned out to be the last trip for bark Velox. (In the book "Fredrikstad schooner on the seven seas" by Knut W. Engebretsen, 1999).



Featured Topic

This paragraph can describe either ancestors, places, any "Featured" relative or whatever you wish to add here. There is a button below it to click for MORE information.


Our Families

Our Ancestors Were Adventurers
Amalie Hansdatters familie
Amalie Wilhelmine Eugenie Hansdatter

Amalie Wilhelmine Eugenie Hansdatter

Born 1881

Married Gerhard Marentius Jakobsen. Had 2 children: Arthur Rudolf and Rakel Louise

Fredrikke Johannessens familie
Fredrikke Marie Andrea

Fredrikke Marie Andrea

Born 1876

Fredrikke and Sverre live in Enningdalen og var på bytur i Halden. Sverre emigrerte senere til Canada.

Hans og Petra Pedersens familie
Hans Pedersen

Hans Pedersen

Born 1847

Hans was jordbruker i Tofteberg, sammen med Petra Augusta hadde de seven children.

Antonette Andreassens familie
Antonette Marie Hansdatter

Antonette Marie Hansdatter

Born 1874

Antonette Marie and barna Agnes og Erling er hos fotografen for å gjøre et fint bilde.

Herman John Franklinbottom image

Herman John Franklin is the father of Robert 'Bobby' Franklin. Bobby was adopted by his mother's new husband when he was approximately six years old.


Our Favorite Genealogy Quotes

We Hope You Enjoy Them

Fredrick P. Valleybottom image

Fred is the grandfather of Robert 'Bobby' Franklin. His parents were Reuben E. Valley and Sarah Ann Trucker.


Ta kontakt

Webmaster melding

We strive to document all of our sources in this family tree. If you have something to add, please let us know.